Friday, May 11, 2012

Wk 2 Reading: Chpt 1-4


What an incredible book!  Every chapter deals with the truth that if applied to one’s life it can make a difference.   I started thinking about my own life and how there has been things personally that I’ve invented or followed. Things that have hold me back from moving forward or at least reaching the next level.  I have probably questioned my potential do to the “inventions” of our society.  At my local church, I have the privilege to talk to a group of young adults about life and life in general.  Things such as how we can improve or make the best of life with faith. I’ve preached the message of pursuing life to its highest potential.  I have talked about the endless possibilities that are out there available to anyone who stretches out their hands.  I’ve been mentioning this in our meetings and I find it incredible how this book makes so much sense.   I agree with the idea that the universe has endless possibilities, but not only that; the world is actually waiting for people to reach their potential, take risks, set goals, etc.  I’ve already started brainstorming on how I can use the concept of giving an A at the beginning of every semester or even every week at school.  It would be interesting to experiment with this idea and see where it takes my classroom.  I agree with the statement that a grade does not tell the full story.  Grades are important for data, but sometimes students only focus on the number rather than the product.  The testimony of the Taiwanese student summarized the first four chapters.  Choose who you want to be, its all a game...one word, powerful. 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful... I'm so glad that the reading has inspired you to think about how you can change your outreach. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irving,

    I agree, it's amazing how this book has put together ideas I've heard before in my life, but in a new way that is really opening them up to me. I "get it" now, or at least I think I do! It's all our there for us, we just have to see it and believe in it! This book really has me thinking too about how I can apply the give an A concept, not so much in terms of actual grades but in the way I teach and approach every student in my class.

    -Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete